I just got back from a nine-day trip to Australia, scouting out the scene for the 2019 Wine Media Conference to be held October 10 – 12 in the Hunter Valley, New South Wales.
I had meeting after meeting with potential media partners, sponsors, governmental agencies, and wineries. I was able to visit not only the Hunter Valley in New South Wales but also the Barossa Valley and McLaren Vale in South Australia. I made new contacts (and friends), took notes, visited the hotel, and tasted quite a few wines.
All of this will be good for you, attendees of the 2019 conference. These types of trips can pay dividends in terms of better content, more attendees, caring sponsors, and excellent excursions. We will have announcements over the coming months as details are confirmed but here are some teasers I can reveal now:
- I presented to 48 members of the Hunter Valley Wine & Tourism Association who are eager to produce the traditional Friday Wine Country Excursions as part of the conference. Starting this early bodes well for excellent excursions.
- I spent quite a bit of time with our two major local partners, the Wine Communicators of Australia and Destination New South Wales. Both are excellent partners.
- We will offer three or four post-conference excursions in other wine regions of New South Wales. These will likely be three days and work well logistically as most are accessible by bus from the Hunter Valley. Details coming soon.
- I am working hard to finalize a three-day excursion in another Australian state – to be announced!
- I met with four different wine media publications, all of whom are excited about the conference and will likely help us promote to the local media. This is important because one of our goals is to have a very international audience in 2019.
- We have interest from five companies and organizations interested in major sponsorships at the conference – items such as meals, receptions, and all-conference wine tasting sessions.
- The people in Australia are extremely kind and our welcome is going to be fantastic.
Things are humming along nicely, 10 months out. We have 55 people registered already and lots of projects in the works. I hope you can join us! Remember prices increase on January 1.