For the IFBC21 Social Media Virtual Summit on January 15, 2021, we had the awesome brand guru Phil Pallen from Phil Pallen Collective join us to talk about how you and your business can stand out amongst all the competition. This is a summary of his talk. You can view the full video session by registering now.
1. 2021 is a new year. How should you approach it?
James Clear says “Every day, you should try and do something 1% better.” Why? Because it has a compounding effect. That means if you get 1% better each day for a year, you will be 37x better by the end. The trick is how. Phil says you don’t need more information to get better, you need a better strategy.
2. Be experimental.
There is no right or wrong on social media. Different strategies work for different people. “You won’t know what works until you experiment.” This doesn’t mean it will take a lot of work but it will take time. Phil also recommends not hiring outside help. For examples and case studies, register now for the full session.
3. Be consistent.
A little reminder from Phil: Being consistent is important but it’s not more important than life. Create a balance. Prioritize your mental health.
- Understand the algorithm and how to create content that is shown in front of more people.
- Relationship: How well do you know each other? The better you connect directly with people more your content is shown to them.
- Interest: What content interests your audience? The algorithm gives users content they are interested in.
- Timeliness: How recent is your post? More recent posts are more likely to be seen.
- How do you be consistent?
- Recycle posts. You can turn a photo into a video, you can do a slide show of photos, update an old photo, use #throwbackthursday to repost, etc. Instagram posts don’t have a long life so reuse!
- Encourage quick and easy engagement. Use Instagram stories or DM to make it easy. Check out Jenny Melrose’s session for more information on how to easily engage your audience in Instagram Stories.
- Add hashtags and locations for your stories. Some people have access to these features, some don’t. Utilize them if you do.
4. Be intentional.
Phil uses Instagram in many of his examples but he’s not saying to only use Instagram in 2021 but be aware of your time. Realize where your time is best spent. Go on platforms where you can surround yourself with things that inspire you and make you better.
- Create content that people will like.
- Research keywords and trends.
- Plan your content ahead of time.
- Write it down. Create a template and plan it out for the week. It will help you experiment and stay consistent.
5. More information!
Register now to get more information and listen to the full video session from Phil Pallen! To view all sessions from the January 15, 2021, Social Media Virtual Summit check out our Agenda Page. See you at our next live event!